Can dogs eat beans?
Broad beans are seeds that grow from a herbaceous plant called Vicia faba. It is a legume that has been cultivated for thousands of years to be used for human and animal nutrition. The broad bean is considered one of the first cultivated plants in history, as its seeds were found in archaeological excavations in the Near East dating back thousands of years.
The consumption of broad beans in humans has been common since the origin of the plant, but many people are unaware of the impact that this food can have on dogs. Before giving them to them, it is important that you know if it is positive or detrimental to canine health. To find out if dogs can eat beans, the benefits they can bring them and how to give them properly, in oneHOWTO we recommend that you continue reading this article.
Can dogs eat beans or not?
The broad beans are legumes that have some good nutritional values. In addition, they do not contain any type of compound that is toxic to the canine organism. Therefore, broad beans are found in the list of foods dogs can eat.
However, it is important to note that not all preparations of this food are healthy and safe for dogs. If you have doubts about whether or not they can eat fried or raw beans, continue reading this section.
Despite the fact that broad beans are a good food for dogs, this is not the case in all their preparations. The cooked beans are digested and assimilated better compared to raw because the cooking process of the beans increases the digestibility of the protein and carbohydrates that these legumes contain. For this reason, in oneHOWTO we recommend do not offer raw beans your little furry, but cooked.
Regarding the cooking method, the healthiest alternatives are those boiled and steamed broad beans. Other elaborations like the fried beans should be discarded because they would contribute to the ration an excess of fat that would be detrimental to the health of your dog.
Benefits of broad beans for dogs
Beans are legumes suitable for dogs. They contain great nutritional value, so their consumption provides multiple benefits for your dog’s health. They are the following:
- make up a excellent source of plant-based protein.
- they are a good fiber source. Although fiber is a nutrient that dogs cannot digest, it is essential to regulate their intake, as well as to improve intestinal transit. It also serves to maintain the microbiota, being beneficial to the large intestine.
- owns a high amount of carbohydrates complex, that is, starch, but they provide very little fat. Therefore, broad beans are considered a healthy energy source for feeding dogs.
- Regarding the vitamins provided by these legumes, the content in vitamin B1 (i.e. thiamine), vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin B9 (folic acid) and vitamin C.
- Regarding minerals, broad beans are especially rich in iron and potassium. They also provide appreciable amounts of sodium, magnesium and phosphorus.
How to give beans to my dog
After discovering that dogs can eat beans, you are probably interested in knowing the best way to offer them to your furry little one. Therefore, in oneHOWTO we want to help you by exposing the ways in which you can include this food in the canine diet. They are the following:
- If you feed your dog a commercial feed on a regular basis, you can include beans in his diet by offering the pulses as a reward or reward for good behavior.
- In the event that your furry little one eats homemade portions on a regular basis, you could choose to introduce the broad beans as one more ingredient in the daily food ration. In this situation, you should combine these legumes with other raw materials They are a good source of carbohydrates, proteins, fat, minerals and vitamins, in order to achieve a balanced diet according to the needs of your dog.
Regarding the preparation of beans for your dog, you will have verified in this article that the best way to offer them is steamed or cooked. The cooking time can vary depending on the size of the beans, although as a general rule 15 minutes of cooking is usually enough.
Whenever possible, choose offer fresh beans to your furry friend. Even so, out of season you can resort to canned or frozen broad beans. In the case of canned broad beans, it is important that you make sure that the preserve does not contain harmful ingredients for the canine organism such as salt, additives or spices. In addition, you must wash them with plenty of water before giving them to the animal.
Now that you know if dogs can eat beans, don’t miss these articles on Can dogs eat kiwis? and Can dogs eat mushrooms?
If you want to read more articles similar to Can dogs eat beans?we recommend that you enter our category of Pets.