Can dogs eat kiwis?
There are fruits that can provide multiple benefits to the canine body. Just like humans, dogs get many important nutrients from eating fruit, but always in moderation because they have a harder time digesting the natural sugars they contain. In this sense, one of the fruits that provide the most benefits is kiwi.
By eating any food in front of your dog, you will have verified that it is a great claim for him and on many occasions he will show you his interest in tasting it. The same thing happens with fruits and it is important that you be clear about the convenience of giving him some of them, as is the case with kiwi. to find out if can dogs eat kiwisthe benefits they bring to their health and how to give them properly, in oneHOWTO we recommend that you continue reading this article.
Can dogs eat kiwis or not?
Dogs can eat kiwis without any problem. As with other fruits and vegetables, you can eat them in moderation to get the health benefits. It is a food that is not toxic to the organism of the dogs, so it is not bad for them.
Therefore, Kiwi is a suitable fruit for dogs., but its benefits are not as numerous as those it brings to the human being. In any case, you cannot base the diet of your furry little one on kiwi or on fruits or vegetables, since they are predominantly carnivorous. Therefore, the kiwi should only be a snack or prizethat is, a supplement so that your diet is balanced.
We recommend this article on whether dogs eat fruit?
Benefits of kiwis for dogs
- Helps lower cholesterol: It provides an extra fiber in your diet, reducing cholesterol and the level of triglycerides in the blood. It also facilitates the elimination of toxins. These are benefits that can be obtained by eating kiwi, but also with other foods such as apples or pumpkin.
- Improves digestion due to its high fiber content: facilitates the assimilation of nutrients and, therefore, their progress through the intestinal tract. And it is that the fiber passes through the intestinal zone without being digested, helping to alleviate constipation problems and to maintain the microflora of the colon.
- Improvement in mobility: It has potassium, a mineral necessary for the proper functioning of nerves, enzymes and muscles. It is usually present in foods in the form of potassium chloride, but it can also be supplied from more natural sources, that is, with foods such as bananas or kiwis.
- Antioxidant power: Kiwi consumption helps protect the immune system of dogs against oxidative damage. This is possible thanks to the vitamin C it contains. Despite not being essential in the canine diet, it contributes to the reduction of inflammation and degenerative and cognitive disorders.
As with other foods, you should cautiously introduce kiwi into your little furry’s diet, since the nutritional requirements of this fruit are 6% of the dry weight corresponding to their daily diet.
How to give kiwi to my dog
It is important to remember that although they can eat different types of food, dogs have a predominantly carnivorous diet due to their nutritional needs. Therefore, in no case is it advisable to give them an excess of fruits and vegetables.
So don’t give your furry friend a whole kiwi, and don’t do it regularly, especially if it’s a small breed or a puppy, as it could easily choke. It is essential that cut the fruit into small pieces so you can eat it without problem.
As with any other food, you must gradually introduce kiwi into the diet of your dog Try giving her a small piece the first time to see how her body reacts to digesting it and see if she likes it. Subsequently, you increase the dose until you give a maximum of a slice of kiwi.
When your dog gets used to the taste and texture of the fruit, in oneHOWTO we recommend mix small pieces of kiwi with your usual foodthat is, with the feed, but always sporadically to avoid digestive or other problems.
Contraindications of kiwi for dogs
- Avoid the skin of the kiwi because, although you can digest it, it is not recommended that you eat this fruit with the skin on due to the risk of choking on it.
- Avoid giving kiwi if it is a breed with a sensitive stomachsuch as the border collie.
- A excess quantity It can cause you to eat more fiber than is necessary for your diet and it can cause intestinal upset or diarrhea.
- Make sure the kiwi provided be ripe because if it’s hard or too acidic, it might not be to your dog’s taste.
Now that you know if dogs can eat kiwis, don’t miss these articles on Can dogs eat pineapple? and Can dogs eat strawberries?
If you want to read more articles similar to Can dogs eat kiwis?we recommend that you enter our category of Pets.