Do dogs eat fruit?
The diet of dogs is not the same as that of humans because they are not as omnivorous. Their diet is more carnivorous, but they are still animals that closely approximate the broad spectrum of edible vegetables for people. The canine organism tolerates most fruits and vegetables, many of which provide multiple nutritional benefits.
Doubts about the advisability of fruit consumption in dogs are reasonable, since they are more sensitive to fructose than humans. The size and weight of a dog is decisive when it comes to knowing how much fruit it can eat without posing a risk to its health. to find out if dogs eat fruitthe benefits they provide and what fruits they can consume, in oneHOWTO we recommend that you continue reading this article.
Do dogs eat fruit or not?
The fruits They are rich and healthy foods for both humans and dogs. It is important to increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables in dogs so that their diet is complete, thus benefiting from the nutritional contribution of vegetables.
However, the dogs they cannot eat any type of fruit nor, above all, excessive amounts. Fructose can affect them in the body, causing severe damage to their health. In addition, the consumption of some fruits can cause allergic reactions in dogs.
Therefore, in oneHOWTO we recommend that, despite the fact that dogs can eat fruit, you incorporate each one little by little into your little furry’s diet. By offering him a new one every few days, you will be able to detect if it feels good or bad and what fruit it is specifically to avoid giving it to him in the future.
You may also be interested in this article on can dogs eat fish?
Benefits of fruit for dogs
The fruit provides a series of benefits for the canine organism. They are the following:
- They contribute vitamins and minerals that strengthen the immune system.
- They offer a high digestibilityso its consumption does not cause digestive problems.
- contain fiberfavoring a correct intestinal transit.
- Provides antioxidants that allow to protect the health of the dog against possible diseases.
- Its proportion of water allows keep dogs hydrated.
Despite all the benefits of the fruit, its main drawback for dogs are the high levels of sugar it contains, being very harmful to the animal. Therefore, they should be given in small amounts and with moderate frequency.
What fruits do dogs eat?
- Dogs love meat from apples and pears and, although they can eat them, it is important limit the amount because of the sugars they contain. They are made up of 80% water, have a moisturizing effect and are satiating thanks to their soluble fiber, being highly recommended for overweight dogs that need to lose a few kilos. In the case of apples, it is convenient to remove the seeds because they can contribute cyanide to the canine stomach.
- Papaya, pineapple, medlars and mango They are also recommended fruits for dogs. They are slightly acidic tropical fruits and rich in water-soluble vitamins, especially vitamin C. In addition, they provide satiating soluble fiber and supplies the intestinal flora.
- watermelon and melon They are more fruits than dogs can eat. They are ideal for keeping them well hydrated, especially in summer, as well as satisfying them due to their high fiber and water content. The amount of melon must be measured because it contains more sugars.
- kiwi and banana they are also pieces of fruit that they can consume. In the case of bananas, despite being a rich source of vitamins, they may find it a bit indigestible, so you should give it in moderation.
In this article you will learn about Can dogs eat watermelon? you will learn more about how to give it and its benefits.
How to give fruit to dogs
There are a number of aspects that you should take into consideration when giving fruit to dogs. They are important so that they benefit from their properties without putting their health at risk. They are the following:
- Some fruit seeds contain cyanide. Although the risk of toxicity is low, it is advisable remove the seeds before giving the fruit pieces to your furry friend.
- Fruit is an ideal snack for your dog between meals, Before the mealsince most of them have a satiating effect.
- You can never base your dog’s diet on fruit. you always owe it give as a prize or snack and in small quantities so that your diet is balanced.
- You must peel and cut the fruit into small pieces to avoid the risk of choking.
Fruits that dogs cannot eat
Dogs can eat almost all fruits, but some of them are not recommended and should be avoided, such as the following:
- Currants are toxic. Although they do not give external or visible symptoms, their consumption can cause kidney failure.
- Grapes Raisins are difficult to digest and can cause kidney damage.
- they don’t digest well the avocadosince it contains persin, a substance that is toxic to both dogs and cats, horses and even some birds.
Now that you know if dogs eat fruit, don’t miss these articles on can dogs eat lemon? and Can dogs eat strawberries?
If you want to read more articles similar to Do dogs eat fruit?we recommend that you enter our category of Pets.